This course is designed for bankers and lawyers and anyone else who is involved in shipping finance who needs to understand the loan documentation. It is intended to be a practical guide and is designed to deal with the more practical issues first, leaving the more legal issues to the end as far as possible, so as to be
- accessible to non lawyers who need to understand the commercial and practical aspects of the subject,
- useful for lawyers needing to deal with the legal issues as well as the commercial and practical issues
This course is designed to help those involved in international shipping finance transactions
- to understand the transaction and documentation structure,
- to know what the commercially important issues are, both in the loan agreement and the security documents, and to know where to look for them in the documents and
- to understand those legal issues which have commercial implications for lenders
- be aware of the questions which need to be asked in different countries when putting a security package together or thinking about the value of a security package
By taking the in depth route discussed below delegates will also obtain a thorough understanding of the legal issues involved
There are two options for taking this course. The first is the “Key Facts” route. This route involves around 10 to 15 hours work over an agreed period of weeks (ideally 4 weeks). This route covers those essential topics which participants need to be aware of when dealing with a shipping finance transaction. The second route is the "in depth" route which requires background reading in addition to the texts on the site. This route requires 30 to 40 hours work over an agreed period (ideally 5 weeks)
Delegates can decide as they progress through the materials how much depth they want to go into and move from one route to another as they wish. There are different quizzes depending on which route is followed and delegates will be awarded the appropriate certificate depending on which set of quizzes they completed successfully.
The materials consist of short interactive videos, quizzes and a forum for discussions. Delegates will be required to post a satisfactory report and question in the forum (and feedback on each of these will be given by the course tutor) as well as passing the quizzes in order to be eligible for a certificate
The course materials available online are self contained and no other materials are required in order to complete the Key Facts route through the study course.
Delegates who wish to undertake the in depth route through the course will need to have a copy of the book “Shipping Finance” by Stephenson Harwood, to be able to participate, as this will be a necessary part of the course materials. The other course materials can be accessed by those registered on the study course, from the link headed "Course Materials" on the side panel next to this window.
Delegates can start a course at any time. You can register or enquire by using the registration tab